Sunday 3 April 2011

Collingwood Studio Session

Last week me and my housemate, JP, went to the studio in his university college and recorded a few demos. We were only there for a few hours, and given some extraneous circumstances, we didn't really give too much attention to things like quality....

It happened that the day we chose was an open day, and so we had regular visits from eager eyed 17 and 18 year olds who, considering how young they seemed to me, must have been slightly afraid that three/four years in Durham can turn anyone into an old, bearded, unimpressive twenty-something. The open day reps also opted to set up an admirably loud set of speakers, and given the limited sound-proofing of the recording room, a hint of Lady Gaga and/or MGMT may have sneaked its way into our recordings.

We decided that the quickest and easiest way to record was to do the vocals and guitar together - mixing them on the desk and inputting them as a single track into the computer. Consequently there was no opportunity to layer anything, or correct any minor mistakes. We pretty much used the first take unless something catastrophic occurred, so there are plenty of points at which I miss a chord, forget the words or sing a wrong note. Apologies in advance.

What I like to do when playing live is to explain the heart and message behind my songs, and as I post them up here over the next few days, I'll include a little summary of what each is about and what drove me to write it. I might even put the words up if I can remember them.

For now, have a photo, and a promise that songs will follow...

(© JP Wright 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment